Employee Relations & Compliance Manager
As a member of the ShipBob Team, you will benefit from an environment where everything is achievable. We aim to be a place where you can:
- Write Your Career Story. Because we are solving some of the most difficult problems in global commerce, you have the opportunity to write the story that will make your career.
- Experience Global Impact and Global Connection. At ShipBob we benefit from diverse cultures and perspectives in service of the global community.
- Grow With An Ownership Mindset. We believe that great innovation comes from great transparency. We are more resilient and more creative when we have an inclusive and transparent culture where everyone knows our strengths and opportunities.
Title: Employee Relations & Compliance Manager
Location: Remote in these states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, KS, KY, IA, ID, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI
The Employee Relations (“ER”) & Compliance Manager holds a critical seat within the People team, partnering on many aspects of the employee experience journey and our duties as a global employer. This role identifies and collaborates on resolving opportunities that impact employee job satisfaction, company values and the ability to thrive at ShipBob. This role is a partner to the business and an advocate for employees, influencing ShipBob’s workplace experience. The person that holds this position balances being an approachable sounding board to employees, while maintaining the company’s best interest. To be successful in this role, you must be proactive, reactive and maintain communication and collaboration. We’re seeking someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about ER/Compliance, but also enjoys making the content and delivery relatable and motivating for our employees.
What you’ll do:
- Uphold the ER/Compliance Center of Excellence (“COE”), sustaining thorough global knowledge of employment policies, compliance, and labor relations requirements and responsibilities.
- Create and maintain and/or be an active participant in the evolution of policies, processes, and procedures for the organization and COE.
- Create and maintain an annual compliance calendar ensuring People team colleagues are aware of their responsibilities and deadlines.
- Monitor compliance reporting requirements and advise and/or assist with reporting responsibilities.
- Build a relatable, audience friendly ER/Compliance communication strategy.
- Own the ER/Compliance resource library on the employee intranet, ensuring the content is relevant, accurate and employee focused.
- Develop and/or acquire ER/Compliance training resources tailored to various audiences: employees, managers, and People team members.
- Monitor the completion of required ER/Compliance training.
- Identify ER/Compliance opportunities and proactively recommend and deploy new strategies.
- Collaborate and consult with People & Legal team members on a variety of compliance, labor relations, and employee performance matters.
- Guide, advise, and participate in employee investigations and the review of employee concerns or grievances.
- Monitor the Whistleblower Hotline and Employee Suggestion Box, providing awareness and solution recommendations to the accountable team or role.
- Establish ER measurables - track and identify opportunities, learnings, and successes.
- Create and manage an annual internal audit of People team processes, systems, employee files, compliance requirements, and more.
- Collaborate with People team colleagues on employee surveys, appreciation, and recognition.
- Other duties/responsibilities as necessary.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A bachelor's degree and a minimum of 10 years of experience.
- A combination of HR experience in the following areas: employer compliance, policy creation and maintenance, employee grievances and investigations, counseling, coaching, and training, conflict resolution, performance management, employee engagement, recognition, and retention.
- Experience working for a global public company is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Ability to maintain employee advocacy and business ambassadorship utilizing facts, consistency and emotional intelligence while making sound judgments.
- Effective communicator with the ability to build rapport with employees, management, and other key stakeholders to influence organizational change.
- Knowledge of labor and employment law, compliance, and dispute resolution.
- Project and program management experience and proven techniques, with the ability to manage multiple complex matters.
- The ability to identify priorities and what requires a sense of urgency and immediate attention.
- Skillful writing skills with experience crafting communications to large audiences at various levels and from different backgrounds.
- Experience creating policies, training, and other ER/Compliance content.
- Proficient in HR technology with exposure to building and maintaining employee intranets and/or resource centers.
- Demonstrated business acumen to run organizational and people-related strategies and outcomes.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- The ability to act with minimal direction and a drive for results and process improvement.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and taking part in complex strategy discussions.
Reports to: Senior Director, People Strategy & Operations
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
At ShipBob, we’re looking to bring on board people who embody our core values:
- Be Mission-Driven. We want team members that are passionate about helping entrepreneurs improve their business, and bring that passion every day.
- Be Humble. We have ambitious goals, and our team members understand that success or failure depends on us working together and leaving egos at the door.
- Be Resilient. Logistics is a complicated business. So is software. We value team members that never give up and keep iterating until a problem is solved.
- Be a Creative Problem Solver. As a startup, we value smart, innovative solutions to complex problems. We fall in love with the problem, not our “favorite” solution.
- Be Safety Minded. It’s not just talk; it’s the way you work.
ShipBob is a cloud-based logistics platform that partners with thousands of e-commerce businesses to help make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. We offer a full suite of fulfillment solutions for our merchants, including the ability to improve their transit times, shipping costs and deliver a best in class experience to their customers.
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago backed by blue-chip investors like Menlo Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Hyde Park Venture Partners and SoftBank Vision Fund 2, our goal is to continue to be the best fulfillment technology in the industry.
ShipBob provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.