Staff Software Development Engineer
As a member of the ShipBob Team, you will benefit from an environment where everything is achievable. We aim to be a place where you can:
- Write Your Career Story. Because we are solving some of the most difficult problems in global commerce, you have the opportunity to write the story that will make your career.
- Experience Global Impact and Global Connection. At ShipBob we benefit from diverse cultures and perspectives in service of the global community.
- Grow With An Ownership Mindset. We believe that great innovation comes from great transparency. We are more resilient and more creative when we have an inclusive and transparent culture where everyone knows our strengths and opportunities.
Title: Staff Software Development Engineer
Location: Remote in India
A Staff Software Engineer - Full stack at ShipBob will be responsible for developing the culture of engineering excellence in all of our applications from end-to-end.
What you’ll do:
- Establishes a culture of engineering excellence.
- Design, architect, and build performant, reliable, high-quality systems at scale following stated best practices.
- Able to own small-to-medium projects/features end-to-end, including delivering architecture/technical designs, crafting, implementing, unit testing, deploying, and maintaining systems.
- Work multi-functionally with product managers, technical program managers, engineering managers and engineers to deliver high quality products.
- Makes steady progress on tasks; knows when to ask for help in order to get themselves unblocked.
- Ability to become self-sufficient in at least one large area of the system with a high-level understanding of other components.
- Capable of providing on-call support for their area, including systems that they are not familiar with.
- Gives timely, helpful feedback to peers and managers, solicits feedback from others, and is eager to find ways to improve.
- Communicates assumptions and gets clarification on tasks up front to minimize the need for rework.
- Understands how their work fits into the larger project and identifies problems with requirements.
- Partner with QA teams to improve product reliability by enhancing integration, regression, and load testing.
- Coaching and growing junior and mid-level developers through mentorship and leading by example.
- Advising on standard methodologies for crafting and architecting scalable solutions, including design reviews, code reviews, and onboarding new technologies.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- 8+ years of experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent programming skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Object-oriented mindset.
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to own small, well scoped features and implementation.
- Expertise in product engineering and full stack development.
- Experience in the following:
- ASP.NET MVC.
- REST API Development and Practices.
- Databases - Structured (SQL) and Unstructured (Mongo, Elastic).
- Design Patterns.
- Agile software development methodologies.
- Team building expertise.
- Automating infrastructure.
- Automating build process.
- Nice to have:
- A hands-on coding approach to engineering mentorship.
- Ability to own medium-sized features from design to implementation.
- Experience with Redux/flux patterns.
- A defensive coding mindset with knowledge of OWASP.
- A passion for QA and an understanding that testing is not someone else’s responsibility.
- Experience with Vue.js.
- Experience with Relational DB Design.
- Experience with Agile.
- Experience with automating infrastructure.
- Experience with automating the build process.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure.
- Experience with Azure DevOps.
- Experience with Azure Functions.
- Experience with Azure Webjobs.
Reports to: Manager, Software Development
Perks & Benefits:
- Medical & Accidental Insurance
- All Purpose Leave (casual & sick time): 12 days
- Earned Leave: 15 days
- Public Holiday: 12 days
- Generous Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Quarterly Wellness Day
- Employee Assistance Program
- Work From Home Allowance
- Referral Bonus Program
- Fun Culture >>> Check us out on Instagram (@lifeatshipbob)
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
At ShipBob, we’re looking to bring on board people who embody our core values:
- Be Mission-Driven. We want team members that are passionate about helping entrepreneurs improve their business, and bring that passion every day.
- Be Humble. We have ambitious goals, and our team members understand that success or failure depends on us working together and leaving egos at the door.
- Be Resilient. Logistics is a complicated business. So is software. We value team members that never give up and keep iterating until a problem is solved.
- Be a Creative Problem Solver. As a startup, we value smart, innovative solutions to complex problems. We fall in love with the problem, not our “favorite” solution.
- Be Safety Minded. It’s not just talk; it’s the way you work.
ShipBob is a cloud-based logistics platform that partners with over 7,000+ e-commerce businesses to help make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. We offer a full suite of fulfillment solutions for our merchants, including the ability to improve their transit times, shipping costs and deliver best in class experience to their customers. With an almost 100% accuracy rate in fulfilling orders and orders shipped on time, our merchants can count on us to deliver excellent service.
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago with over $300M+ raised from blue-chip investors like Menlo Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Hyde Park Venture Partners and SoftBank Vision Fund 2, our goal is to continue to be the #1 best fulfillment technology in the industry.
ShipBob provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.