Accounting & Finance
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
In 2016, we founded Provi as an innovative ordering solution, aimed to disrupt the 240-billion dollar alcohol industry with a product that would move beyond the constant chaos: the texts, paper stacks, missed phone calls and lost communication that has dominated the purchasing workflow between buyers and distributors for decades.
Today, Provi is better than ever. We’ve created a best-in-class ordering solution that better connects beverage alcohol professionals across 35 states and growing, with more than 750,000 product listings that make up the most expansive and trusted database of U.S. distributor portfolios.
If selected for a position in either Chicago or Austin*, you'll enjoy a hybrid work arrangement, allowing you to spend two days a week working from our office. Additionally, we provide an accommodation process for those who may require full remote work.
*Hybrid positions are only applicable to employees within a 35-mile radius of Provi offices
The Assistant Controller is a key role responsible for overseeing various aspects of accounting operations, with a specific focus on the unique challenges associated with the SaaS industry. This position involves the direct management of Billing/AR function (two coordinators) and a subset of general accounting (one accountant that, ideally, this role hires). The Assistant Controller plays a crucial role in maintaining financial integrity and supporting the company's growth within the dynamic SaaS landscape. This role reports directly into the Controller and is expected to serve as the Controller’s right hand.
Candidates must be located in either Chicago, IL or Austin, TX and be open to a hybrid work schedule.
What you'll be doing
- Financial Reporting & General Ledger Management:
- Oversee and maintain the accuracy of the general ledger, ensuring proper recording of revenue/expense and other transactions
- Conduct monthly reconciliations to ensure the integrity of financial data
- Assist in the preparation and analysis of accurate and timely financial statements, including variance analysis and other relevant reports
- Collaborate with the rest of the accounting team to ensure compliance with accounting standards, and with the FP&A team on day-to-day financial management
- Billing/AR Leadership:
- Lead and mentor the Billing/AR team, fostering a collaborative and high-performance work environment
- Oversee the accurate and timely creation and distribution of invoices, ensuring compliance with company policies and industry regulations
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to address billing discrepancies and improve billing processes
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to review customer contracts for proper accounting treatment
- Audit Support:
- Serve as a key point of contact during audits, ensuring compliance with accounting principles and standards
- Provide documentation and support for audit-related inquiries
- Process Improvement:
- Identify and implement opportunities for process improvements in financial and accounting operations, implementing changes to enhance efficiency and accuracy
- Collaborate with other departments to streamline financial workflows
- Enhance processes for managing subscriptions and revenue recognition policies in accordance with ASC 606 and other applicable standards
- Tax Compliance:
- Ensure compliance with relevant tax regulations, working with external tax advisors as needed
- Stay informed about tax implications specific to the SaaS industry
What we are looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field; CPA (Certified Public Accountant) designation is preferred
- 5+ years in accounting roles both as a leader and as an individual contributor in industry and/or Public Accounting
- Strong technical accounting background with a thorough knowledge of US GAAP.
- Experience with software/SaaS revenue recognition under ASC 606
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages, like NetSuite and QuickBooks
- Experience working in both a larger enterprise and smaller, more dynamic environment with rapid iteration and change
What you can do at Provi:
Make an impact: Work directly with the management team to help grow the business.
Find your groove and grow: Provi keeps growing and you should too. Expand your skill set, diversify your experience and develop along with us.
Enjoy competitive benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401K with match, Commuter Perks, Long/Short Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Unlimited PTO and ½ day Fridays in the Summer.
Be a part of something big: Join a dynamic and innovative team that is working to change a major industry.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role above. Employee pay will vary based on factors such as qualifications, experience, skill level, competencies, and work location. Base pay is just one component of the Company's total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, the Company provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, life, and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO).
Provi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.