Principal Software Engineer
Chicago, IL, USA · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2023
About us: We believe manufacturing is important not only for what it makes, but for what it makes possible for the world. Manufacturers have an important job to do, and it’s our job to provide them with the technology and expertise they need through the entire production process, from discovery and design to manufacturing and fulfillment.
About the Role: Fast Radius is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to help build products and drive growth across a number of exciting initiatives we are taking to transform the way the world thinks about manufacturing. The software you build will accelerate our customer's development cycles and enable new parts/products to be created faster than ever before.
What we’re working on:
- Building a unified platform to cost, quote, and fulfill orders across our network of 15+ factories (we’re growing!)
- Utilizing machine learning and data science to accurately estimate the manufacturability and cost of complex parts
- Bringing transparency to the manufacturing process by exposing the lifecycle of a part from design through fulfillment in the pursuit of on time delivery
- Using lean startup methodologies to learn from our customers and manufacturers to continually improve their experience
- 7+ years professional experience building production software or web applications
- 5+ years experience building and optimizing distributed systems for speed, scalability, and extensibility
- Bonus points for experience with evented architecture
- 3+ years experience with Go, with knowledge of tooling and best practices
- Proven track record of growing and developing the technical skills of engineers
- Strong investment in mentoring other engineers through pairing, code reviews, etc, and contributing to a culture of learning
- Ability and desire to work with product, engineering, and design partners in cross-functional teams, as well as stakeholders across the business
- Commitment to stability, performance, fault-tolerance, and code quality. You implement testing, monitoring, and secure application development practices.
- Strong sense of ownership and a growth mindset. You take responsibility for the work you and your team's output and always look for opportunities for iterative improvement.
- Deep knowledge of SQL databases (we use Postgres primarily)
- Experience with cloud platforms. AWS experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with modern frontend languages and frameworks (we use Typescript and React). Experience working across the stack is a plus.
What you’ll do:
- Spearhead architecture and design efforts as we build and optimize our cloud native distributed system
- Be a leader in our culture of learning. Play an active role in leveling-up our engineers and software development practice
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable code with high standards of quality and performance.
- Work across multiple teams to provide leadership to deliver robust solutions that serve our stakeholders and customers
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and industry practices and apply them to enhance software development processes and practices
Who we are: We believe manufacturing is important not only for what it makes but for what it makes possible for the world. Our first-of-its-kind Cloud Manufacturing Platform™ represents a new, more sustainable infrastructure to design, make, and move physical goods in the digital age. Working with companies across a variety of industries – from growing startups to Fortune 500 companies – Fast Radius helps customers with all stages of the manufacturing process from new product development to ongoing part production. We recently became a publicly listed company as the next step in scaling our vision for the future of design, manufacturing, and logistics. Every day you can expect to work in an inclusive environment that makes excellence possible, where great work and ideas matter more than seniority. We believe in experimenting fearlessly and learning from our failures—quickly. Our leaders have grown successful companies before, and they understand that businesses thrive when capable people have the freedom to solve problems without constraints.
What we offer: We want you to come to work happy, healthy, and balanced so you can expect excellent benefits:
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care including dental and vision
- Generous vacation policy as well as a 401K plan
Fast Radius is proud to be an equal opportunity employer because diverse perspectives make for better products, better processes, and a better company. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, Veteran status, or other protected status.
Fast Radius currently is unable to sponsor or transfer visas.
We are currently able to hire residents in the following states: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MA, MD, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, TN, TX, WA, WV, WI