International Tax Manager
As a member of the ShipBob Team, you will benefit from an environment where everything is achievable. We aim to be a place where you can:
- Write Your Career Story. Because we are solving some of the most difficult problems in global commerce, you have the opportunity to write the story that will make your career.
- Experience Global Impact and Global Connection. At ShipBob we benefit from diverse cultures and perspectives in service of the global community.
- Grow With An Ownership Mindset. We believe that great innovation comes from great transparency. We are more resilient and more creative when we have an inclusive and transparent culture where everyone knows our strengths and opportunities.
Title: International Tax Manager
Location: Remote in India
Join our dynamic and exciting start-up environment and gain outstanding experience for your tax resume! As an International Tax Manager at ShipBob, you will have the opportunity to work in a broad range of tax areas and build your reputation as a global leader in tax.
The International Tax Manager’s primary responsibility is to execute tax compliance and related reporting requirements for the non-US business, under the control and direction of the Tax Director and the Global Controller. The International Tax Manager will utilize accounting and software applications to deliver timely tax compliance solutions for all aspects of the business. The International Tax Manager role is expected to grow and will have increasing responsibilities for the planning and delivery of safe, simple, and accurate tax compliance around the globe. This role will have exposure to all aspects of the logistics industry and can expect to develop broad and deep experience in this expanding field.
The Accounting team at ShipBob is highly qualified and motivated to provide a positive, flexible working and learning environment for team members. The International Tax Manager will report into a small team with nearly 40 combined years of experience in tax and will gain exposure to the hottest issues in the field.
What you’ll do:
- Preparation and/or support for submission of US and non-US tax filings, including:
- US Federal Tax Forms, especially 1120, 1118, and 5471.
- UK, Australia, Spain, Canada income- and other treaty-based tax filings.
- Australia GST, Canada GST / HST / PSTs, UK & Other European VATs.
- Manage and/or support tax audits and ruling requests, potentially including:
- US (international) income, transfer pricing, and similar tax audits and rulings.
- Australia, UK, India, Spain, Canada and other income and GST or VAT audits.
- India, Australia and other advanced rulings and disclosures.
- Support compilation of transfer pricing files, including master file and CBC reporting.
- Planning and execution of intercompany transactions and the accounting for them.
- Drafting and amendment of intercompany services agreements.
- Development of responses to new ‘economic nexus’ and ‘digital services’ taxes.
- Preparation of tax accounting support, including:
- Monthly tax journal entries.
- Annual income tax provision.
- Monthly, quarterly and annual budget tracking and reconciliations.
- Detail-level review and oversight of outsourced tax and related functions.
- Development of solutions for tax matters affecting ShipBob’s international business.
- Support of expansion planning and related tax risk analyses.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as necessary.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Degree or equivalent experience in accounting, economics, law, or finance required; MBA, J.D., LL.M., or Masters Degree in Accounting or Tax preferred.
- ACCA, CA, CPA, or similar certification preferred.
- 5 - 10 combined years’ experience in accounting or tax expected; preference for experience with international professional services firms.
- Experience with indirect taxes (sales taxes, VAT, GST, or similar) highly preferred.
- Experience with data querying (SQL or MS Access preferred).
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Command of MS Excel, Google Sheets or equivalent spreadsheet software.
- Experience with data analysis (MS Access or Excel pivot functions preferred).
- Experience with ERP applications (NetSuite / Oracle preferred).
- Tax technical aptitude, with interest and demonstrated ability to learn new tax and regulatory rules quickly.
- Ability to work quickly and independently on assigned projects.
- Focus to deliver complete results in short timeframes.
- Capacity to manage multiple projects on an ongoing basis.
- Creativity in reducing complexities and simplifying processes.
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams from many countries and cultures.
- Resilience and patience in working on iterative and complex projects.
- Responsibility for designing and executing safe tax and related compliance methodologies consistent with the law in all jurisdictions.
- Nimbleness in learning and incorporating new business information and knowledge into finance and accounting planning and compliance.
Reports to: Director of Tax
Perks & Benefits:
- Medical, Term & Accidental Insurance
- All Purpose Leave (casual & sick time): 12 days
- Earned Leave: 15 days
- Public Holiday: 12 days
- Generous Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Quarterly Wellness Day
- Work From Home Allowance
- Referral Bonus Program
- Fun Culture >>> Check us out on Instagram (@lifeatshipbob)
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
At ShipBob, we’re looking to bring on board people who embody our core values:
- Be Mission-Driven. We want team members that are passionate about helping entrepreneurs improve their business, and bring that passion every day.
- Be Humble. We have ambitious goals, and our team members understand that success or failure depends on us working together and leaving egos at the door.
- Be Resilient. Logistics is a complicated business. So is software. We value team members that never give up and keep iterating until a problem is solved.
- Be a Creative Problem Solver. As a startup, we value smart, innovative solutions to complex problems. We fall in love with the problem, not our “favorite” solution.
- Be Safety Minded. It’s not just talk; it’s the way you work.
ShipBob is a cloud-based logistics platform that partners with thousands of e-commerce businesses to help make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. We offer a full suite of fulfillment solutions for our merchants, including the ability to improve their transit times, shipping costs and deliver a best in class experience to their customers.
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago backed by blue-chip investors like Menlo Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Hyde Park Venture Partners and SoftBank Vision Fund 2, our goal is to continue to be the best fulfillment technology in the industry.
ShipBob provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.