Data Engineer - II
About G2 - Our People
G2 was founded to create a place where people will love to work. We strive to create meaning in work and provide more than just a job: a true calling. At the heart of our community and culture are our people. Our global G2 team comes from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, and that’s what makes our G2 community strong and vibrant. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves to work, and we do this through our company and team events, our G2 Gives charitable initiatives, and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs).
Our employee-led, leadership-supported ERGs celebrate the diversity of our team, foster inclusivity and belonging, and create a space to connect to each other. Through connections and understanding, we build a stronger and more dynamic global team and help every person reach their personal peak.
We support our employees by offering generous benefits, such as flexible work, ample parental leave, and unlimited PTO. Click here to learn more about our benefits.
About G2 - The Company
When you join G2, you join the global team behind the largest and most trusted software marketplace. Every month, 5.5 million people come to G2 to inform smarter software decisions based on honest peer reviews. Authenticity is our focus, and every day we help thousands of companies, and hundreds of employees, propel their potential. Ready for meaningful work that starts and ends with compassion and heart? You’ve come to the right place.
G2 is going through exciting growth! We’ve recently secured our Series D funding of $157 million, which will further allow us to grow and develop our product and people. Read about it here!
About The Role
G2 is looking for a Data Engineer - II, you will lead the design, development and maintenance of complex data engineering projects and pipelines for the G2 data platform. You'll lead and contribute significantly to complex data engineering projects and the implementation of complex ETL and ELT processes within an AWS and Snowflake ecosystem, demonstrating expertise in scalable and efficient data processing.
In This Role, You Will:
Data infrastructure and processing:
- Lead the design and development of data pipelines for seamless integration of data from various sources into the G2 Data Platform.
- Optimize data pipelines, ensuring cost effectiveness, scalability, and reliability.
- Constantly innovate to make the data stack follow the latest trends.
- Service data requests from various users of the G2 data platform.
- Actively contribute to data modeling and design reviews, striving for improved adoption and efficiency.
- Execute the project tasks aligned with project timelines and objectives under the guidance of senior team members.
- Develop repeatable and scalable code that processes data to ensure data availability in the platform is as real-time as possible.
- Actively contribute to the development and advancement of the data platform.
- Promote architectural changes that increase the scalability of our data infrastructure while maintaining efficiency in all phases of the development lifecycle.
Data quality assurance and governance :
- Learn and adopt best practices in data engineering to contribute to robust solutions.
- Own the implementation of data quality and data governance initiatives and drive them to completion.
- Recommend and ensure the data platform follows privacy and security standards and requirements.
- Document data architecture, data model, and workflows for how it should be consumed.
Mentorship and Collaboration :
- Guide junior engineers by providing technical support, expertise, best practices, and constructive feedback on data engineering techniques.
- Collaborate with peers, actively participating in knowledge sharing sessions and contributing to a collaborative team environment.
- Seek guidance and mentorship from senior team members to enhance technical and analytical skills.
We realize applying for jobs can feel daunting at times. Even if you don’t check all the boxes in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway.
- 4+ years of experience as a data engineer or ETL developer.
- 2+ years of development experience with sound skills in data modeling, optimization, and database architecture.
- Experience in the design and development of data pipelines using cloud and open-source tools.
- Proficiency in writing and debugging SQL queries.
- Good programming skills in Python or Java.
- Must have good knowledge of performance tuning, optimization and debugging of data pipelines.
- Working knowledge of the AWS data services (DynamoDB, RDS, Data Pipeline, EMR, Lambda, Glue, ECS, etc.) and cloud data warehouses like SnowFlake.
- Proficiency in handling structured and unstructured data.
- Proficiency in ELT/ELT tools like AWS Glue, Step Functions, Data Pipelines, Airflow, Airbyte, and DBT.
- Familiarity with distributed computing and frameworks like Apache Spark, Hadoop, and Apache Kafka for handling large volumes of data.
- Familiarity with software engineering principles and best practices.
What Can Help Your Application Stand Out:
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Proficiency in data modeling, schema design, and optimizing data structures for performance in Snowflake.
- Working experience in startup environments.
- Experience with Agile process methodology, CI/CD automation, Test Driven Development.
- Knowledge of data governance, security, and compliance standards within cloud-based data solutions.
- Understanding of any reporting tools such as Tableau, Qlikview ,Looker, PowerBI, etc.
- Database administration background.
Our Commitment to Inclusivity and Diversity
At G2, we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment where people of every background can thrive and feel welcome. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, or marital, veteran, or physical or mental disability status. Learn more about our commitments here.